Search This Blog

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Colosi Nero d'Avola 2010 (about $14)






About the Wine:  This one is going to be kind of a cheat.  I went to a better wine store than the one where I work and talked to a very qualified wine consultant who, after a long discussion of my tastes, picked this bottle for me.  Such is the benefit of talking to qualified professionals rather than just picking up something with a pretty label.

About THIS Wine:  It is crimson in the glass with a distinct, violet rim.  Blackberry and cherry are very prominent on the nose along with hints of tomato.  I find the tomato smell common in Italian wine and I usually like the wines where I find it.  The palate is quite spicy with layers of red fruit that make for a very nice drinking experience.  It finishes with slightly dry cherry.

Drinking This Wine:  The salesman gave me this as a pasta wine, but I actually prefer it as a sipper.  It is both too light and too spicy for pasta.  By itself it is full, flavorful, and pleasant.

Overall Impression:  This is great wine.  If it was a less obscure varietal, a Cab or even a Zinfandel, it would go for twenty dollars easily.  At fourteen it is a steal.

by Ben Stiebel

No comments:

Post a Comment