Search This Blog

Friday, April 27, 2012

Hahn Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 (about $14)



About the Wine:  I came across Hahn's 2007 Cab in the execution of my duties.  Which is to say, it was not selling so I tried it, liked it, and was able to recommend it to customers until it sold it.  The label had a picture of a chicken on it, which apparently had no appeal.  The new label for the 2010 vintage looks a bit like a used menstrual pad.  Apparently I just do not understand marketing, and neither do the folks at Hahn.  The 2007 vintage was very thick, heavy and tasted mostly of the charred oak barrels in which it had been aged.  Will that taste carry over to this vintage?

About THIS Wine:  The center is a pleasant dark purple with a garnet rim.  The nose is very thick with jammy raspberry and licorice with hints of smoke.  The raspberry and licorice deliver on the front palate, but somewhere between the mid palate and finish a very sharp oakiness pops that dominates the whole experience.

Drinking This Wine:  The best advice I could give for drinking this wine is to lay it on its side in a cool dark place for six months to a year.  I believe that with the additional aging it will mature well and lose the sharpness in the finish, but it is not ready for prime time.

Overall Impression:  Fourteen dollars for something that might me good in a year if you store it right?  I'll let you figure this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment