Search This Blog

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Chateau Monestier La Tour Bergerac Rouge 2011 (about $10)






About the Wine:  The back of the bottle informs me that Bergerac is a wine growing region outside of Bordeaux that shares many of the climate and soil characteristics of the Bordeaux region.  The blend in this wine is dominated by Merlot, fairly typical of a Right Bank Bordeaux.  The implication here is that one can get Bordeaux quality without paying Bordeaux prices.  I am a little doubtful, but the price speaks to me on a very deep level. 

About THIS Wine:  The color is a deep, ruby red with a garnet rim.  The nose is thick and rustic, revealing the wine's youth.  I get notes wild berries and forest floor.  The palate is mellow and has a fairly meaty with notes of sour cherry.  Cinnamon and pomegranate are present in a finish that lingers a lot longer than I would have expected.

Drinking This Wine:  I could sip this by itself but it would also go well with burger or pizza.

Overall Impression:  It seems like the maker of this wine set out with a very specific goal: to make a perfect ten dollar wine, and I would say they succeeded.  You will not impress anyone with this but it is pleasant, complex, lingering, and versatile.  This wine is a good value.

No comments:

Post a Comment