Search This Blog

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Cantinia di Casteggio Barbera Oltrepo Pavese 2012 (about $11)


About the Wine:  Oltrepo Pavese is a wine region in Lombardy in the far north of Italy.  I do not believe I had heard of the DOC before I picked up this bottle, so I have no idea what to expect.  Wikipedia informs me that it is in the general vicinity of Franciacorta.  That region makes some of the best sparkling wine in the world outside of Champagne, so perhaps there is reason for optimism.

About THIS Wine:  In the glass it is a clear, ruby red.  The nose is reserved for a Barbera.  Strawberry jam notes do come through with time.  That rich strawberry defines the palate.  There is more tannin structure than I am used to from a Barbera.  It is not tannic per se, just tannic for the varietal.

Drinking This Wine:  This is another good barbecue wine.

Overall Impression:  It's a nice bottle and I would not have been upset if I had paid $15 for it.  It is good for the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment