Search This Blog

Friday, July 3, 2015

Rhiannon 2013 (about $11)



About the Wine: I dimly recalled having tasted it early in my wine career and I have a nostalgia for those days. According to the back label the blend changes every year depending on what the maker feels is the best expression of the vintage.  There is no specific region listed on the label, so it is likely that the producer is using the best grapes they can source in a given vintage.  This year's blend is Syrah, Petite Sirah, and Barbera.  In many ways this represents the contrast between the winemaking style associated with Burgundy and that of California.  The Burgundians are so obsessed with terroir that every spit of land is measured against every other and they really focus on delivering the terroir in every vintage.  California just wants to make good wine every year.  That explanation probably summed up which way I lean.

About THIS Wine:  It is an opaque red in the glass with a narrow violet rim.  The nose is a bright wall of jammy fruit.  The palate is fruity but not over the top.  There is better tannin structure than I expected.  Sweet cherry and raspberry notes linger.

Drinking This Wine:  This is fine for quaffing.  It could be paired with lighter fare, maybe the appetizers before a meal.

Overall Impression:  My coworkers are Burgundy experts and enthusiasts.  I love sharing wines like these with them.  They hate me.  This is no twenty dollar bottle, but it is cheap and enjoyable.  As such, it is good for the price. 

No comments:

Post a Comment