Search This Blog

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Carmel Road Monterey Pinot Noir 2013 (about $20)

Displaying KIMG0023.JPG 


About the Wine:  Monterey is not known for its wine, which is a bit of a shame.  The coastal climate tends to negate the heat of California and the wines are generally affordable.  I was actually surprised to see a Monterey wine at this price.  Maybe the secret is out.  If so, I would like to go on record that I liked Monterey before it was cool.

About THIS Wine:  It is ruby red and fairly clear in the glass.  The nose presents an earthy quality similar to the Pinots of Sonoma.  Fruit is present on the palate, but is tempered by the earthy character of the wine.  It has a nice, dry finish.  The elements are all there and they are all in balance.  It's a classy bottle.

Drinking This Wine:  I selected pork steak as a pairing because that's what I happen to have in my fridge tonight.  That is a happy accident.  The wine is a little too big for turkey, chicken, or fish, which are my other go to Pinot parings.  It is definitely a food wine.

Overall Impression:  I rarely say this about a bottle twenty or higher, but at $20 a bottle this a really good value.

No comments:

Post a Comment