Search This Blog

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Peirano Estate Petite Sirah 2012 (About $16)



About the Wine:  2012 was a great vintage in California and I have always loved the Petite Sirahs of Lodi so it is hard to imagine that this will be a miss.  I do not really know the producer, so I did extensive research that consisted of reading the back of the bottle.  According to that, this winery is in its sixth generation within the same family and has been in business since 1895.  Perhaps this is another of Lodi's many hidden gems.

About THIS Wine:  It is dark as night in the glass with a dark purple rim.  Raisin and fig notes are prominent on the nose.  The palate is surprisingly reticent.  That is an unusual characteristic for the appellation.  After a few minutes, and no small amount of impatient swirling, the wine reveals a luxurious dark fruit palate with a fairly dry finish.

Drinking This Wine:  Normally, I consider Petite Sirah a quaffing wine but this one has some tannin and body that make it a promising paring with roasted ham or chicken.

Overall Impression:  I have always been a sucker for Lodi and this wine is no exception.  That said, it does present some surprisingly Old World characteristics that only raise my estimation of it.  And that is why I think it is an absolute steal for this price.

No comments:

Post a Comment