Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Bollini Pinot Grigio 2010 (about $13)







About the Wine:  There is not much I can write about Pinot Grigio that I have not already written.  To recap, it is a dry white that is lighter than Chardonnay and not as sharp as Sauvignon.  The ease of drinking and the fact that it is usually served chilled makes it the classic summer white.

About THIS Wine:  It is very light yellow in the glass without any distinct rim.  The smell made me wince as I poured it.  The wine buyer where I worked said it smelled like duck liver.  I have not recently gutted any ducks, so I will have to take his word on that.  Acidity overwhelmed the palate for me.  The wine buyer said he did not taste much acidity but that he did not taste anything else either.  Whether the palate is very acidic or I got nothing else because there was nothing else is, I suppose, a question for the ages.  Fairly pleasant citrus made for a surprising finish.

Drinking This Wine:  If you must drink this wine then have it with soft cheese or something else that can absorb the acidity.

Overall Impression:  I misplaced my tasting notes and for most wines that means I would not write a review until I had a chance to retaste.  Bollini Pinot Grigio is not most wines.  The awfulness of it left a deep impression that will take some time to erase.  This is cooking wine and as such is horribly overpriced.

No comments:

Post a Comment