Search This Blog

Monday, July 16, 2012

Cusumano Nero d'Avola 2010 (about $10)



About the Wine:  Nero d'Avola is a relatively obscure grape grown in Sicily that produces a hearty, tannic red.  I first tasted Cusumano at a grand tasting in Manhattan a few months and was very impressed with it at that time.  I did not write about it at that time because roughly two thousand other alcoholic beverages were featured as well and it was just too much too take notes and write about all of them, and also because I was in no condition to write my own name by the end of the tasting.

About THIS Wine:  The center is dark red with a pink rim.  Red fruit, tomato, and spice combine for a nose that reminds me of pasta sauce.  The palate is thick and tannic with hints of tomato and raspberry.  This is not a sweet wine, but their are hints of sweetness on the palate.  The finish is spicy and lingering.  Tannins are prominent throughout.

Drinking This Wine:  This is much too tannic for a sipping wine.  I tried drinking it with a meal of spicy sausage.  The spicy wine paired with the spicy meat was a bad a choice as "Sweatin' like a whore in church," does not nearly cover what I was doing by the end of the meal.  Milder meats or pasta with red sauce would make a good pairing.

Overall Impression:  Not the best wine I have ever had but still rich, complex, and full bodied.  At ten dollars a bottle this is a good value.

No comments:

Post a Comment