Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Alamos Malbec 2014 (about $9)




About the Wine:  This is one of the less obscure wines I've reviewed.  It's a Catena production. That family is essentially the Rothschilds of Argentinian wine.  It is easier to explain the obscure when you know the common.  Also, the price point speaks to me.

About THIS Wine:  The nose is dense and jammy.  That jammy fruit, especially red fruit, defines the palate.  But there is structure here and a surprisingly long finish.  The wine is neither as sweet nor as alcoholic as I had feared. 

Drinking This Wine:  I'm planning to have it with a roasted turkey leg and I expect it will be a good pairing.  Nothing too heavy, as it is not that big of a wine.

Overall Impression:  I have wines for twice the price that weren't half as good.  This Malbec is a steal.


No comments:

Post a Comment