Search This Blog

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Fowles Are You Game Shiraz 2013 (about $17)






About the Wine:  Everything about this label puts the wine firmly into "I immediately regret this decision," territory when purchasing it.  Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your view, Aussie winemakers tend to give stupid labels to some really good wine.  I suppose if I wanted a classy label I should have bought a Rhone.

About THIS Wine:  Very dark, almost opaque purple in the glass with a violet rim.  The nose is tight.  This could have done with a little more age.  It does give up some nice dark berry fruit and some interesting notes of spice and forest floor.  The palate is big and plush.  It has a drier finish than I would have expected.  I suspect that this wine will drink best young, not just because it isn't meant to age, but also because its tannin structure keeps it from being overly sweet.

Drinking This Wine:  This isn't really a food wine.  More like something to sip on a cold night.

Overall Impression:  The wine is not bad, but it doesn't taste like seventeen dollars.  This wine is fine but it is overpriced.

No comments:

Post a Comment