Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Blanco Nieva Sauvignon Blanc 2010 (About $14)

About the Wine:  Sauvignon Blanc is a dry white wine that is generally bolder than Pinot Grigio and sharper than Chardonnay.  It is a traditional ingredient in White Bordeaux and is also cultivated in Spain and the New World.
About THIS Wine:  Blanco Nieva has a pale straw color and is slightly luminous in the glass, similar in appearance to an excellent Pinot Grigio.  The nose is very rich.  Cirtus notes are dominant but pineapple, cut grass, minerals, and smoke are also present.  My coworker smelled butter, but I did not.  The complexity is such that I suspect that additional tasting and smelling would yield further results.  The palate is strangely but pleasantly creamy with strong citrus notes.  My coworker did not taste the cream but did taste pineapple that I did not.  Again, I attribute this to the wine's complexity.  The finish was mild, tingling, lingering, and I did taste the pineapple there.
Drinking This Wine:  This is a good sipping wine.  It would also go very well with crab legs, crab cakes, or other shellfish.
Overall Impression:  I'm not usually a Sauvignon Blanc Drinker.  My coworker is.  We both loved this wine.  At fourteen dollars a bottle this wine is a very good value.

No comments:

Post a Comment