Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Liberty Creek Chocolate Red ($9)


About the Wine:  Chocolate wine has gained popularity over the last few years.  It is usually not made from the highest quality chocolate or particularly good wine.  The lack of a vintage on this bottle was particularly distressing.
About THIS Wine: The rim is darker than the center in the glass.  This is the reverse of what red wine is supposed to look like.  The nose is reminiscent of the cherry cordial chocolates they sell at dollar stores.  A palate of burnt chocolate leads into a lingering (and I mean lingering) finish of cherry cough syrup.
Drinking This Wine:  It gave me a strange craving for White Castle burgers.
Overall Impression:  This wine is hilariously awful.  The vendor who tasted us on it got really mad when I told her I would be doing this review.  At nine dollars bottle it is in no way worth it.

2 comments:

  1. My experience -- and that of my wife -- was 180 degrees opposite Mr. Steibel's. We loved it last night, and we've purchased three more bottles of it today, and sent a note to the Vineyard about how pleased we were. And, we only paid $6.99 a bottle.

    Just goes to prove what my father, an amateur wine connoisseur, said about wine, and what I have said to my literature students about books: don't take any "expert" advice about what is good and what is awful; experience it for yourself, and reach your own conclusions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this wine, and sad that my local store stopped carrying it. It was a perfect night cap.

    ReplyDelete