Search This Blog

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Kunde Estate Merlot 2006 (about $14)

About the Wine:  Merlot is one of the three red Noble grapes.   It is often drunk by itself but is also used in blends.  The most venerable of these is probably Bordeaux, a classic blend that must be at least seventy percent Merlot.  When drunk by itself, Merlot is usually considered fruitier and more approachable than Cabernet Sauvignon and more full bodied than Pinot Noir.
About THIS Wine:  The color is very dark, nearly opaque toward the center and it abruptly fades to a thin rim of garnet around the edge.  The nose is quite strong.  In fact it was so potent that I was concerned that the wine might have madeirized, as sometimes happens with older vintages or the occasional bad bottle.  When I actually took the time to smell the wine I realized that it was good, but very potent.  Jammy fruits are prominent on the nose with hints of spice and minerals.  The jam delivers on the palate, which is remarkably dry.  This may be the driest Merlot I've had which made it surprising that it was also so fruity.  The finish is spicy, tannic, and has strong notes of cherry.  The cherry finish also surprised me.
Drinking This Wine:  I would strongly recommend opening the bottle at least an hour prior to drinking.  This is a wine that really needs to breath.  The nose and palate open with a little time.  I would normally recommend red meat with something this dry, but I had it with a ham sandwich (because that's what I had handy) and it did quite well.

Overall Impression: Kunde is rich, full, and interesting. At fourteen dollars a bottle it is a good value.

No comments:

Post a Comment